With its unique vacuum-homogenizing feature, the Mixema ProfiMix plant is designed to produce a wide range of liquid, pasty and viscous products with differing production requirements.
- Heating, cooling
Examples of applications in various industries
- Dairy processing – soft cottage cheese, yogurt, condensed milk, reconstituted milk powder, cream.
- Oil and fat processing – combined oils, margarines, mayonnaise.
- Fruit and vegetable processing – jams, ketchup, sauces, purees, pastes.
- Confectionery industry – cream filling, chocolate-hazelnut paste, chocolate glaze, honey.
- Non-alcoholic drinks industry – juices, nectars, soft drinks.
- Cosmetics industry – lotions, shampoos, conditioners, gels, ointments, toothpaste.
- Pharmaceutical industry – ointments, emulsions, gels.
- Chemical industry – detergents, adhesives, paints, varnish, and disinfectants.
The design of the ProfiMix plant consists of a main operating vessel, jacketed for heating and cooling and thermal insulation, and equipped with an agitator with scrapers for a special macro-mixing of the product. Scrapers effectively remove the product from the container sides for maximum heat and cold dynamics in the thin film. The special geometry of the working tank insures lack of unmixed zones.
Capacity, depending on the application, ranges from 15 to 80 % of total volume of the vessel.
The main working element – the rotor-stator homogenizer – is installed in the bottom of the conical working vessel and provides emulsification and forced circulation of the product. The homogenizer has one main input, from the cone of the working vessel, and three auxiliary inputs, which are connected to the funnel or complementary tanks to add additional ingredients to the product.
When adding powdered ingredients directly into the strong vacuum created in the area of highest shear rate, the powder is immediately dispersed and wetted – thereby achieving complete wetting, de-agglomeration and the uniform distribution of solid particles in the liquid.
Since the powdered ingredients have a very high specific surface area (hundreds of thousands of m2 per 1 kg) with standard methods of loading (when the powder is poured onto the surface of the liquid, which has an area of several square meters) poorly wetted agglomerates and lumps are formed. The adding of the powder directly into the maximum shear rotor-stator section maximizes the dispersing effect, since in this zone the speed of movement of the wetting liquid is increased a million times, allowing it to moisten the total surface of the powder. Lack of shear energy at the moment of loading cannot be compensated for by further increasing the dispersion time.
The advantages of this method include the absence of dust or loss of the powdered components in the manufacturing process. Powdered ingredients are not deposited on the sides, the lid or the agitator shaft, and do not degrade the quality of the finished product. In addition, powdered components do not touch fluid components before being dispersed, thus preventing the occurrence of partly wetted agglomerates. Additionally, besides improving the quality of the finished product, this method reduces the costs associated with the acquisition and operation of dust collection systems and service filters. Also noteworthy is the fact this method of inputting components under a vacuum is necessary when working with flammable liquids, as it excludes contact between the powder (which always contains oxygen) and explosive vapors.
The basic features of the vacuum homogenizing plant ProfiMix include:
a working tank, two tanks for additional ingredients, a homogenizing unit, a vacuum pump, lid lift, and automatic control system based on an industrial controller. Standard lid equipment includes an agitator drive, inlets fitted for vacuum connection and cleaning solutions, gauge, manhole and an inspecting glass.
If the manufacturer requires a product with unbroken solid components then the product is unloaded with the bottom pump, without using the homogenizer.
Plant design complies with FDA GMP, and is convenient for inspection and cleaning; also, there are no "dead zones" while cooking and mixing.
- Significant time reduction for preparing a batch of products, due to the high efficiency of the processes of heating, cooling, mixing and homogenization.
- Consistently high quality of the finished product, repeatable results from batch to batch.
- Highly reliable construction and long-term trouble-free operation.
- Ability to produce a wide range of products at the same plant.
- The use of special materials and different degrees of surface treatment.
- Various levels of automation.
- Dosing system in accordance with the ingredients of the formulations.
- Additional hoppers.
- Direct injection of steam into the product.
- ATEX design.
- Complete validation documentation for use in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Manufacturing designs to suit individual customer requirements.